Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Reviews

I've been wanting to write a post on the books I've read so far this year and my thoughts on them.  I've read five, but I'm really hoping to get in about 20 before the end of the year.  The summer should make that a little easier!  So far, though, this is what I've conquered:

-Pride and Prejudice--by Jane Austen--Okay, I've read this book too many times.  It's one of my favorites.  I love, that for the era, Austen wrote a pretty strong female character.  Elizabeth is fantastically snarky and I've always appreciated that.  This is a book I really like to read every few years because it's just so great.  Oh, Mr. Darcy!

-The Hunger Games (Trilogy)--by Suzanne Collins--I definitely recommend everyone read this trilogy.  They're all quick reads and fairly entertaining.  I had one student say she thought they were better than Harry Potter and that's why I ended up reading them myself.  Although I disagree with her statement (Harry Potter is still better written), I did enjoy the books.  I liked that the main character, Katniss, wasn't a complete wuss.  She was a more realistic and strong female character (which is my major beef with the Twilight series--Why is Bella so weak all the time?) and that really spoke to me.  She makes for a great example for young ladies in the world.  The story is weak in some points, but over all it's good for YA writing.

-On Writing-by Stephen King--This book is King's memoir on his journey to becoming a writer and his advice to writers.  I really liked reading about his journey--I felt connected to the part that he wrote as a child and as an adult, he was always passionate about it.  I even liked hearing that he was an educator before he hit it big and that he had been through many struggles (no silver spoons, people).  His advice on writing is valuable (although his complete loathing of adverbs is a little over the top).  He has great advice on setting a schedule and making time for the "muse" as well as editing the work.  If you're a writer, it's worth reading.

-Steal Like an Artist--by Austin Kleon--This book is advice directed to creative people.  The main message is to make time for your creativity and to remember to explore.  It had some cute tidbits and it would be a nice gift book for those creative souls in your life.  However, it is by no means a deep and highly instructional or compelling book.  Kleon has cute inspirational tidbits if you're feeling like a creative loser and need a pick me up, but I felt like his book was very "surface level" and lacked credibility (maybe this is because I'm older than him and have had different life experiences).  So, if you get it's just a cute little quick read pick-me-up, then you'll love it.  Otherwise, pass on by

No comments: